Aloha! Today we’re feeling spiky about one of our favorite fruits: pineapple! First, we'll hear about hosts Anna Van Valin and Lia Ballentine’s adventures with pineapple, including Lia's ride on the Pineapple Express and Anna's memorable DoleWhip experience at a conference called MurderCon held at Disneyland (you read that right). Then Lia tells us how International Pineapple Day got started as a joke, why pineapples were one of history's most coveted and expensive fruits, and how the pineapple became a symbol of hospitality, friendship and…swingers. In the Deep Dish, Anna explores how pineapple became Hawaiian (because it wasn't!) and shares the incredible story of the brave and talented Queen Lili’uokalanai, the last monarch of the kingdom of Hawaii. If you're a fan of pineapple, pineapple upside down cake, piña coladas, and even Hawaiian pizza (don't let Lia know), then join us on this juicy adventure. Mahalo!
Explore from the show:
- Watch the International Pineapple Day-themed trailer for Psych 2.
- Try making your own Dole Whip at home.
- Celebrate Asian American & Pacific Islander heritage by learning more about Queen Lili'uokalanai.
Connect with us:
- Want to support our women and BIPOC-created independent podcast? Buy us a coffee!
- For more great content about the stories & foods we talk about on the show (plus a peek BTS) follow us at @FoodDayPod on Instagram, Twitter & Facebook or check out our webpage.
- Its a GIVEAWAY! Enter to win a special gift box from our friends at Pantry Party, filled with exciting ingredients to elevate your meals.
- Join our mailing list to keep up with all the exciting things we have planned for this season.
(c) Van Valin LLC, Yumday
Support the show (https://buymeacoffee.com/fooddaypod )