Hi Listeners! Anna and Lia are about to get frank with you, because this episode is all about Hot Dogs! Prepare to play detective as Anna Van Valin, our Foodlosopher, helps us solve the mysteries of the mystery meat in the Deep Dish: Is the mismatch between the number of buns and wieners in a pack a conspiracy? Is the Hot Dog a sandwich? And the question we’re all afraid to ask: Why do we call it a hot “dog”??? But first, Lia Ballentine, our Chef-Creator, gives us the history of the frankfurter and how it became a classic American food, the national food council behind the biggest hot dog celebration of the year and it’s fearless leader “The Queen of Wien.” Plus, you’ll relish the story of the bitter rivalry behind two legends of the competitive eating world: Takeru Kobayahi and Joey Chestnut. Franks for listening!
Vote for “Every Day is a Food Day” in the People’s Choice Podcast Awards! We’re up for two awards and we need your support! Go to PodcastAwards.com, follow the instructions to vote, and nominate us in the “Arts” and “Best Female Hosted” categories. Voting closes July 31!
Explore more from the show:
- Check out the official website of the National Hot Dog and Sausage Council here.
- Learn the proper way to eat a hot dog in this etiquette guide.
- Watch the trailer for “The Good, The Bad, The Hungry."
Connect with us!
- Want to support our women and BIPOC-created independent podcast? Buy us a coffee!
- For more great content about the stories & foods we talk about on the show (plus a peek BTS) follow us at @FoodDayPod on Instagram, Twitter & Facebook or check out our webpage.
- Join our mailing list for extra content and to keep up with all the exciting things we have planned for this season.
- Get yourself a delicious Yumday snack box!